This course aims to introduce students to the main characteristics of technical English in the different fields of engineering. The objectives of the course are to help students improve their linguistic competence in English and to provide them with the necessary resources for effective oral and written communication in an academic setting. Throughout the course, students will practise reading and writing technical texts, as well as listening to and speaking about different aspects of their discipline. They will also practise oral presentation skills in English by presenting a project related to their specific field of engineering. This project, called course project, will be part of a collaborative effort in which students will first have to find information about a topic of their choice and then deliver a group oral presentation at the end of the course. The course will cover the following areas:
• Practice on all four skills through a variety of engineering topics.
• Practice on the rhetoric of professional and academic documents in engineering.
• Practice on the most common functions, notions and grammar structures found in engineering texts.
• Practice on the oral presentation of topics related to engineering.
• At the end of the course, students will reach a mid-intermediate level (B1 - B2) of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
• At the beginning of the course, students will take an “Online Placement Test” to test their English level.
(*)La Guia docent és el document on es visualitza la proposta acadèmica de la URV. Aquest document és públic i no es pot modificar, llevat de casos excepcionals revisats per l'òrgan competent/ o degudament revisats d'acord amb la normativa vigent